The Chieftain Chair
Choose PayPal Pay in 3 at checkout, and split your Holloways of Ludlow purchase into three interest-free payments, with no set up fees or charges.
Pay in 3 is as easy as 1-2-3! Here’s how it works:
- Check out with PayPal
- If your total is between £30-£2,000, choose “Pay in 3” and complete your purchase.
- Make the first payment now and pay the rest in two payments every month on the same date.
Buy the things you want, need and love now with PayPal Pay in 3!
*Terms & Conditions apply. Subject to status. UK residents only. Pay in 3 is a form of credit and may affect your credit score. Late fees apply for missed payments. PayPal is a responsible lender.
The Chieftain Chair, designed by Finn Juhl, is considered one of the most iconic pieces of furniture in Danish Modern design. It was first presented at the Cabinetmaker’s Guild Exhibition in Copenhagen in 1949, where it stole the show with its unprecedented size and daring design. The chair's striking silhouette, defined by an organic, curved walnut frame and luxurious, soft leather upholstery, provides exceptional comfort and acts as a stand-out statement piece in any interior space. It is available in walnut or oak with upholstery in selected, exclusive leather types.
Finn Juhl, the founding father of Danish Modern, was a pioneer in furniture design, who broke away from traditional Danish furniture design and strict functionalism. Inspired by modern art and foreign cultures, Juhl incorporated organic shapes and non-traditional materials into his designs, liberating Danish furniture from its traditional roots. His crowning achievement is the Chieftain Chair, which represented the peak of his career as a furniture designer. In 2012, the Chieftain Chair won the Danish Design Award, Classic. The jury said in its motivation: "Today, the Chieftain Chair stands as an inspiration to a new generation of furniture designers and as proof that attention to quality, international calibre and a will to break away from tradition can pave the way to make a difference as a designer".
The chair is now perceived as one of the most important exponents of the Danish Modern movement in the US during the 1950s. The Chieftain Chair's design was influenced by a 3,500-year-old chair from Ancient Egypt that Finn Juhl saw at the Musée du Louvre in Paris. He was particularly interested in the composition of the chair, with emphasis on the triangular backrest support. In addition to the Egyptian chair, he was also drawn to tribal art and weaponry, which inspired the chair's striking design.
The Chieftain Chair is a testament to Finn Juhl's innovative and influential approach to furniture design and continues to inspire a new generation of designers.
About your delivery
- We aim to get your items to you as soon as possible.
- For regular sized packages we use an overnight courier company, usually either DPD or APC.
- For oversized, heavy or awkward packages a more bespoke delivery service will be provided.
- Once your order has been despatched, you will receive a tracking link by email so you can follow your delivery to your door.
- Free Delivery offer only applies to UK mainland purchases. We reserve the right to make additional charges for overseas deliveries and for remote parts of the UK, including Isle of Wight, Isle of Man, Northern Ireland, Shetland, and the Highlands.
What happens when I order?
- If your order is in stock, you should have your item(s) within 3-5 days of placing your order, but please note there can be a small increase in delivery time during busy periods.
Free Click & Collect is available from all of our showroom locations and from our warehouse in Ludlow. This can be selected as an option within our checkout. PLEASE NOTE: Stock is not held in our stores and your order will need to be transferred from our warehouse to the relevant store - this can take 4-8 days. For in stock items, the fastest way to receive your order is to have it delivered directly to you.
- All goods can be returned within 30 days of delivery if they do not meet your requirements.
- Returned goods must be returned with all parts, packaging, and instructions in perfect condition for a refund to be issued.
- The customer is responsible for selecting a suitable means of returning the goods to us. For any questions, please contact: email@example.com
- Once we receive your order a refund can take up to 14 days to be visable in your account.
For more information, please view our full Delivery & Returns page.